Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Not Going To College But I Have A Team Anyway Thing

It's not that I couldn't get into college, it's that I didn't try. So when I watch college sports, I can do nothing but root for teams that others have convinced me to root for. First it was UCLA because Grandma hates USC. Beyond that, I've tended to gravitate towards my wherever my significant other of the time went to school.

During the Tricia years, it was BYU. But honestly, BYU wasn't good at...anything other than being Mormon, really, so it was usually a Chicago Cubs let down of almost-but-not-quite wins, no matter which sport we watched. I was actually pretty happy to not have to root for them by default once that split was final. In fact, that may have even been part of the cause. I digress.

Next, I became a Duck. Ducks are cute, they're feisty, and well, it was always fun hearing Susan talk about it never raining at Autzen Stadium. And even now, I root for the Ducks whenever I get the chance. They're fun to watch, and they're even better than good some years, which makes it even better. I even still wear the green & yellow hoodie (that I possibly stole) when I know the Ducks are playing. 

And then there was Florida State. The Seminoles. Meh. I could never really get on board with FSU. Partially because of the garnet & gold (too much of a resemblance to Grandma's hated Trojans) and mostly because they used a tomahawk chop in their cheers...too much of a resemblance to the Atlanta Braves, which stirs up my own personal hatred. Luckily, FSU wasn't good at anything but golf, so I rarely had to feign support for the team.

Which brings us to "my" current team. After my break-up with the Duck lady, I immersed myself in the Women's College World Series to drown my sorrows, and fell in love with a team from Illinois (ok fine, I fell in love with the coaches). Northwestern made it to the Championship Series with UA, and although the final scores made the 2 games look like blowouts, those were 2 of the best games I've seen in my life. A couple years later, I find myself relationshiply (I'm a writer, I'm allowed to make up words) obligated to root for this fine school. So far, so good.

From here on out I'm a Wildcat. And still kind of a Duck. And also a Bruin. But never at the same time, of course. As we discussed today's Wildcat/Duck softball game this past week, I made a light joke of wondering who I was going to root for and was nearly struck down by lightning bolts spearing from my Wildcat's eyes. Jeez, woman, take a joke!

Of course, this year I'm going back to school and will at some point get my own degree from my own college. So when I have a mascot to truly call my own, I hope I can really get on board with it. We'll see what happens. And then all you bitches better watch out, because it's entirely possible that I'll change my major and move cross country just to go to school somewhere that has a winning record over all the aforementioned schools. It's a good thing I'm not competitive. 

No comments: